Best Treatment for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in Los Angeles, California !
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) often goes undiagnosed. It is a condition in which certain nerves, blood vessels, and muscles coming from the thorax to the arm get compressed. This causes pain in the shoulders and neck and numbness in fingers.
The problem originates from the thoracic outlet – an opening between the scalene muscles in the neck and the rib cage. When the nerve and blood vessels are squeezed near the thoracic outlet, it is called thoracic outlet syndrome.
Types & Symptoms of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome:
1. Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome:This is the most common type of TOS which involves compression of the brachial plexus – a network of nerves that travel from the spinal cord. Symptoms include pain or aches in neck, shoulder or hand, muscle wasting in the fleshy base of thumb, numbness or tingling in arm or fingers, weakening grip, etc.
2. Vascular Thoracic Outlet Syndrome:
- Arterial Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: This involves compression of the subclavian artery (arteries under the collarbone). It is the second most common type of TOS.
- Venous Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: This involves compression of the subclavian vein (veins under the collarbone). This the rarest type of TOS.
Symptoms of Vascular TOS include the bluish color of hand, arm pain and swelling, blood clot in veins or arteries, cold fingers, hands or arms, numbness or tingling in fingers, and a throbbing lump near the collarbone.
3. Nonspecific-type/Disputed Thoracic Outlet Syndrome:This involves chronic pain in the thoracic outlet that worsens with activity, but the cause of the pain remains undetermined.
Treatment for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments
- Massage therapy
- Stretching and relaxing the scalene muscles
- Pain Management
- Surgery,when other treatments are ineffective
If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome due to an accident or injury, then you must visit Central Healthcare Center immediately. Call us at (213) 984-4575 to schedule an appointment today!